Re: Cannot run from live USB on laptop

Greetings,

Whats is small zero fill?

Erasing with 'dd if=/dev/null ...' ?

if so, then
if the purpose is to erase the mbr then end with '... bs=512 count=1'
if the purpose is to erase the first MiB give    '... bs=512 count=2048'

From the output device ('...of=/dev/xxx ...') be sure of what is being erased where and why.

Regards,

Ram

On 15/02/2015 02:09, Richard Nelson wrote:
Greetings,

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Jędrzej Dąbrowa <nachteil@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I wanted to install debian from a live usb. I downloaded four .iso
debian-live-7.8.0-amd64 images, with KDE, GNOME, xfce and lxde and copied
them (one at once) on my flash drive, using

Can you provide the url you downloaded from?

cp image.iso /dev/sdX
sync

I always use dd.

When I boot from the USB I get the welcome screen, where I can choose to try debian live, do the same in fail-safe mode, install etc. Whatever I choose, the next thing I see a screen telling me to choose language, keymap etc., and then GParted screen shows up (even when I just want to run live session). At this point mouse and and keyboard stop working (both laptop
built-ins and external usb ones), I wanted to enter the console using
ctrl+alt+f1, but with no effect. The only thing I can do is to reboot. This happens on my Asus laptop and with every live image I downloaded. I cannot
investigate any further, as I any action I take causes no effect.

_If_ you are ok with losing all data on the device (did you read the part
about losing all data on drive?) , then you _could_ _consider_ (this is
your choice, and only your choice) doing a small zero fill on the drive. This _should_ eliminate anything that contributing to the list of things
causing issue. WARNING: Did you read the part about losing all data on
drive?

I tried the same usb stick on a different machine, a desktop PC, and when I
chose "run live" a debian desktop showed up and it was fully functional.

This would _imply_ that the key is ok.

What may be the cause and what can I do to be able to run debian live and
install it?

See above and _read_ WARNING!!!

Thanks and regards,
Jed

Hope this information assists and please report back on your outcome.