Cannot run from live USB on laptop

Hi all,

I wanted to install debian from a live usb. I downloaded four .iso  debian-live-7.8.0-amd64 images, with KDE, GNOME, xfce and lxde and copied them (one at once) on my flash drive, using

cp image.iso /dev/sdX
sync

When I boot from the USB I get the welcome screen, where I can choose to try debian live, do the same in fail-safe mode, install etc. Whatever I choose, the next thing I see a screen telling me to choose language, keymap etc., and then  GParted screen shows up (even when I just want to run live session). At this point mouse and and keyboard stop working (both laptop built-ins and external usb ones), I wanted to enter the console using ctrl+alt+f1, but with no effect. The only thing I can do is to reboot. This happens on my Asus laptop and with every live image I downloaded. I cannot investigate any further, as I any action I take causes no effect.

I tried the same usb stick on a different machine, a desktop PC, and when I chose "run live" a debian desktop showed up and it was fully functional.

What may be the cause and what can I do to be able to run debian live and install it?

Thanks and regards,
Jed