want a live image that boots to console

Hello,

I do a majority of my linux work from the console, and would like ot have a live image that automatically boots to the console. I would also like ot be able to launch gdm3 if I have a need for it, but mostly I just need a console-based system.

I found a script that should do the trick (it modifies the /etc/x11/default-display-manager to be empty and does some other fun stuff), but when I put it into the hooks folder I get an error saying it can’t find the files to modify because they are already in the squashed filesystem.

Is there a good way to make changes like this?  Should I just put the modified files into the config/includes.binary sub-folder?

Any tips would be appreciated.