From: Ben Armstrong [mailto:synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca]
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2014 12:19 PM
To: Richardson, Jim (IT); debian-live@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: APT Pin Version statements ignored

Richard,

On 05/09/14 12:38 PM, Richardson, Jim (IT) wrote:
> I am trying to pin the 3.12 kernel from wheezy-backports. The following preference configuration works with the except for the Version statement to pin the 3.12 linux-*. Configuration will work if instead of the version statement I use the release a=wheezy-backports. But the newer 3.14 kernel gets build into my image. Version statement configuration will also work on a standard wheezy hard drive install as expected. Any ideas?

Let's assume you're building amd64 (but the same would be true of any kernel flavour):

linux-image-amd64 does not exist in any release as version 3.12. And in wheezy-backports, this package depends on linux-image-3.14-0.bpo.2-amd64. I don't know which of the things you've mixed in from backports and unstable will cause the installation of the wheezy-backports or unstable versions of this metapackage, but apparently there is some dependency path back to one of these, and that's how you end up with a 3.14 kernel in your image.

To avoid installing the linux-image-{flavour} metapackage, which never depends on the correct kernel for your use case, specify lb config --linux-packages linux-image-3.12-0.bpo.1 (or if you need headers too, lb config --linux-packages "linux-image-3.12-0.bpo.1 linux-headers-3.12-0.bpo.1").

Ben