pinning a package in backports

As far as I can see, the backports repository is checked by default and I don't need to add anything in auto/config.
I'm struggling with pinning the 1.8 version of Git present in wheezy-backports.

This is the error:

 git : Depends: git-man (> 1:1.8.5.3) but 1:1.7.10.4-1+wheezy1 is to be installed

My config/apt/preferences contains these lines:

Package: git git-*
Pin: release a=wheezy-backports
Pin-Priority: 999

The same occurs if I add in auto/config:
--backports true \

but I think that this option is redundant, since I see that apt donwloads the indexes from wheezy-backports.

Thanks in advance
Federico