Re: install read only system

On 07/06/13 07:56 PM, piotr wrote:
> I would like to do a fix installation of live on 500MB flash drive.
> Howto install Wheezy READ ONLY system on a PC/Notebook 1:1 from usb with live hdd using Live Installer?

Clearly you have specific things in mind when you say "read only" and
"1:1", but truly I cannot make sense of either of them.

In its strictest sense, a read-only system is absolutely useless. You
must be able to write *somewhere* to store the changing state of the
running system, even if only in a ramdisk. Live systems are such a
system, with a read-only layer in a union filesystem with a cow
(copy-on-write) layer in tmpfs. So if what you really want is a live
system, why bother installing it? Just run the live system.

What do you really mean by 1:1? A live system and an installed system
are very different in how they boot and how they operate after they
boot, so of course it is not really a 1:1 copy. You end up with a lot of
the same material as you did on the live system, but the copy is not
exact, as the live-specific bits are removed. But if the live-specific
bits are removed, then it doesn't satisfy your "read-only" goal ... and
again, if you wanted a read-only system, why not just run a live system?

So I'm left confused by your terminology, because you haven't really
explained what you want in the end. If you want to run a live system,
you really don't want to use live-installer to install it. You just want
to put the live system itself on the boot drive of your system (via,
say, dd or so -- or if you don't want to wipe out all partitions on that
drive, you'll have to just take the files themselves and manually set up
the bootloader to boot into it).

Ben