zram in live systems [Was: zram Usage as Default in Debian (?)]

Hi Daniel,

(Moving to -live since I'm going to focus on the Live aspects only.)

Daniel wrote (Sun, 08 Jan 2012 22:30:33 +0100):
> yet another aol from me; i've tested it quite a bit with the idea of
> enabling it automatically on debian-live systems if the machine as not a
> certain amount of physical ram available. had only bad experiences with
> it, so far (worse than without it).

Thanks for your insight.

The fact that ChromeOS is going to enable zram by default makes me
wish to reconsider this topic briefly. I'd rather not start from
scratch, so do you remember:

  * what kind of bad experiences it was? (what metrics?)
  * what kernel version you were using?
  * how much memory the test system had?
  * if the system under test had some disk swap enabled?
  * how much of the system memory you gave to zram?

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri