Re: Persistence

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Jakob Schürz <wertstoffe@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Am 2013-04-05 07:04, schrieb chals:
>
> In order to this 2 topics, i configurated my isolinux. But i have the
> problem, that it doesn't work. The problem is, that my inserted file
> "persistence.cfg.in" gets renamed to "persistence.in" and is not usable
> for the menu.cfg... How i described in my first mail.

Hi,

If I remember correctly, you mentioned two different things at the
beginning of this thread. Persistence and syslinux configuration.

Sincerely, I must admit that I do not get what you are trying to do
(renaming your live.cfg file into persistence.cfg). To my poor
understanding persistence and bootloaders are two unrelated things.
But I might be wrong.

When I read your mail this morning I started thinking about what you
intend to do but I'm afraid I haven't been able to guess it.

Perhaps you misunderstood/mixed the idea of the "filesystem label" or
"volume label" mentioned in live-manual in respect to persistence with
the labels and *.cfg files used in/for the bootloader menu/files.
Well, again, I have no clue.

In order to use persistence you need a boot parameter "persistence", a
volume label "persistence" and a config file "persistence.conf"  See
live-manual for details. But not (that I know of) any syslinux config
file or label... :)

Heed that I said:

>> if you build an hdd image you can dd it to a usb stick and manipulate the
>> files under DEBIAN_LIVE/syslinux

This is to say, an hdd image type, not an iso image type and syslinux,
not isolinux. With an hdd image, when you plug your usb stick into
your computer you can write/copy/move/delete all the files in the
stick as if they were regular files in your filesystem.

But that was just a hint for you to experiment and play with stuff and
once you get a clear idea of what you want then create the heck of a
configuration for your own system. (Anyway, if you want to build an
hdd image you only have to use the option --binary-images hdd)

This is a big puzzle and it takes some time to put all the pieces
together. I hope you have a lot of fun this weekend investigating and
testing all that stuff. :)

Have a nice weekend.

--
chals