Re: Persistence

Am 2013-04-05 07:04, schrieb chals:
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Jakob Schürz <wertstoffe@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>> Am 2013-04-04 21:29, schrieb chals:
>>
>>> --bootappend-live options to see if you used the right persistence
>>> parametre.
>>
>> this is my auto/config:
>>

> Even though you can activate persistence at boot time adding the
> parametre to the boot command line. I think it is preferable to add
> "persistence" to your --bootappend-live parametres. It would look like
> this, then:
>
>  --bootappend-live "boot=live config
> locales=de_AT.UTF-8,de_DE.UTF-8,en_US-UTF8 username=jakob
> keyboard-layouts=de persistence"

I did this, and i got a persistent build. And it works. :-)

>> And I use live-build from experimental... 4.X... Thinking about
>> downgrade to testing. I tried it, because there was a bug in
>> debootstrap, and i hoped, this would fix it.
>>

> I do not think the version in experimental is supported and even if it
> is, keep in mind that it is an alpha version, so you'd better stick to
> either stable or testing. And testing is just about to become stable
> So the version in wheezy is alright.
>
> Besides the bug is in debootstrap, nothing to do with live-build, it
> affects live-build "indirectly". Using debootstrap version 1.0.47
> fixed the issue in my case.

when i have time left, i will do this. weekend... :)

>> I know this manuals, and i use them, not the man-pages. But i didn't get
>> more clever about my tasks.
>>

> Hopefully the two cases you mentioned in this thread are well covered
> in live-manual for the wheezy version of live-build. In order to
> customize your bootloader:
>
> http://live.debian.net/manual/3.x/html/live-manual.en.html#560
>
> And in order to use persistence:
>
> http://live.debian.net/manual/3.x/html/live-manual.en.html#529
>
> Your use case might not be covered in the manual, but I think it is
> enough to give you some ideas to achieve your goals.

In order to this 2 topics, i configurated my isolinux. But i have the
problem, that it doesn't work. The problem is, that my inserted file
"persistence.cfg.in" gets renamed to "persistence.in" and is not usable
for the menu.cfg... How i described in my first mail.

> The idea behind live-build is to prepare your configuration beforehand
> so that everything is done automatically without any further
> manipulation but there are, of course, other ways or "cheap tricks".
> For example, in order to modify your syslinux configuration, if you
> build an hdd image you can dd it to a usb stick and manipulate the
> files under DEBIAN_LIVE/syslinux but again this is not what you want
> if you intend to do some serious work with live-build.

You are right. This should work automatically... And a handle on the
mounted stick, where i copied the image with dd on, is not possible,
because "filesystem is readonly"... So no chance to manipulate the
isolinux...

> So you'd better follow the recommended method, but doing a little
> experimentation is always interesting.

i like experimentals :)

jakob