Re: Live

On 11/16/2012 02:46 PM, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
>  > Don't use cp.  Use dd.
>
> 	AFAIK, both of them should work almost identically there.  The
> 	difference is that dd(1) allows for seek=, skip=, and some more
> 	obscure options, which don't seem necessary in this case.
> 	(Also, dd(1) allows for the block size to be specified — or even
> 	requires it, — while cp(1) will use whatever block size it deems
> 	appropriate.)

Fine. But whichever you use, doing it while a filesystem is mounted on
the device you're copying to is asking for trouble. I suspect that's at
the root of this user's troubles.

One more piece of advice: after the dd (or cp) is done, use 'sync' to
ensure all blocks are flushed before unplugging the USB stick.

Ben