Serial console problems: cannot poweroff, init errors

I am building a live image using live-build 3.0~a45-1 on Ubuntu 11.10. The target image is Debian Squeeze using linux-image-2.6.

I want a console on both the screen and the serial line, so I added the following line to my auto/config:

    LB_BOOTAPPEND_LIVE="quiet ipv6.disable=1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8" \
    (rest of config line...)

I have two problems now:

1. When I issue the command "sudo poweroff" from the video console, I never see the "press enter" prompt. It's not just invisible, it's on the serial console, so pressing enter on the video console has no effect and the system cannot properly power off (without a serial console, anyway).

2. I copied the chroot "/etc/inittab" to "config/includes.chroot/etc/inittab" and uncommented this to spawn a serial console (note the change of speed, too)

    T0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100

But instead of a console on the serial line, I see:
----
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/bin/sh: cannot open /dev/tty: No such device or address
INIT: Id "T0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
----

How do I get a console, including the ability to safely power down, on both the serial line and the screen?

Cheers,
Jason