Re: netboot image, an .iso replacement

On 06/27/2012 10:27 PM, Geert Stappers wrote:
> What will break when there is no NFS server?

no rootfs will be found.

> How early is that in the boot proces?

early. in live-boot during initramfs stage.

> When netbooting pxelinux.0 plus memdisk
> plus http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/usb-hdd/debian-live-6.0.4-amd64-rescue.img
> which network card drivers will I have available?

the ones that squeeze support, modulo those that require firmware from
non-free.

> What will then be my chances for a shell prompt?

without the rootfs, you'll get a 'could not find rootfs' message and
initramfs will abort to a busybox shell.

> Which of the above described way might be the road to succes?

if you insist on netbooting, then, either use fetch=, or setup an nfs
server.

hope that helps.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net