Re: support-snapshots.debian.org-in-live-build

On 06/27/2012 08:04 PM, Rui Miguel P. Bernardo wrote:
> Following today irc talk here is a fresh patch against debian-next.

thanks.

> This removes the debian-snapshots mode and uses only standard options.

much better this way.

> Maybe --debian-snapshots true could be dropped and if
> --debian-shapshots-date is set then use snapshots.debian.org?

let's put aside the actual implementation details, and decide first on
the interface and alogorithm.

following your lead, i suggest to only add:

  --snapshot $DATE

if snapshot is set to a date, then, by default (unless otherwise
manually specified), the bootstrap, chroot, and binary mirrors are set
to snapshot.debian.org for the corresponding date.

if d-i is supposed to be included, we'll try to get it from snapshot
too, if there's none, we use the closest one we can find on the main
archive.

if the users wants to have the main archive in the binary mirrors, he
would need to specify them. i think this is better than to have the main
archive by default, for three reasons:

  * personally, i would expect that if i create a 'snapshot' system, it
    will behave as if the clock was turned back, so, when i do an
    apt-get install foo on that system, it will fetch the historic
    package, and not try to (eventually) update the whole system to the
    current state.

    the action to update to the current state should be an action
    that, by default on such a snapshot, should be done explicitly
    (by changing apt sources), not implicitly (by apt-get dist-upgrade).

    otherwise, that seems to, by default, somewhat be against the
    purpose of such a snapshot system.

  * it's simpler to handle in live-build, and we don't need to deal with
    the fact that we don't want to upgrade the chroot after adding
    binary mirrors, and don't want to upgrade the auxiliary chroot that
    we use during chrooted builds.

  * it's more consistent with the specifying of the *-mirrors options
    with lb config.

what do you think?

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net