Re: Testing an ISO with persistence in VirtualBox OSE

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Miguel Villanueva Lobato
<miguel.villanueva.lobato@gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean a file with an ext2 file system I have created with:
> $ dd if=/dev/null of=live-rw bs=1GB seek=1 # for a 100MB sized image file
> $/sbin/mkfs.ext2 -F live-rw
>
> Because I was trying it with files instead of partitions.

I remember the file must be in the top level of the filesystem to be
found on boot. Make sure to place the file there.

Also, I would suggest to try to add the option "-L live-rw" also to
the mkfs.ext2 command, but I think it shouldn't matter because the
filename is already live-rw.

There is another command just to label existing ext2 filesystems:
e2label - I know this command works better than gparted.

> Anyway, If I tried doing it in your way:
> I boot the VM with the live cd in the CD/DVD device. But, what do you
> mean by 'partition'? Because, in VirtualBox I can create a .VDI disk,
> but how can I make an ext file system on it?

It is in the live-manual:
http://live.debian.net/manual/html/customizing-run-time-behaviours.en.html#523

(watchout there is a manual page for live-build 2.x and another for
live-build 3.x, but this is common to both versions, I think).

If the ext2 partition is already in the VB disk (vdi), try label it
with the e2label command. It works here

Hope it helps.