Re: Networkcard what needs firmware

On 03/30/2012 03:37 PM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
Is there a good way to get debian live working with network with such a
machine?

build an image yourself, enable non-free, include the packages in the package list.

Why isn't it possible to add packages from non-free from:
http://live-build.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-build ?

there is no (reasonable) guarantee that a user selection of non-free packages would not create an undistributable image.

since the autobuiler is operated under US juristiction, this is a problem we need to account for, hence non-free is not offered as an option.

Or it would be possible to make a not-official image with firmware.

yes, we're working on that and prebuild images with non-free included will be served at some point from live.debian.net.

And I am wondering why there is no debian-live 6.0.4. I need the latest
2.6.32 kernel for that networkcard (Realtek 8111E, is in most new machines).

there is, i just didn't move it to the proper directory name.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net