Re: live-boot and multiple squashfs images

Hi Ian
Hi, I am lead to believe by the documentation that live-boot can take several squashfs files, mount them readonly and then union them together.  The code seems to imply though that only one overlay is really ever supported.  Has anyone else run into this or tried to do this?  Thanks!

In the lernstick[1] distribution we include so many software packages that the resulting squashfs would grow larger than 4 GB, which makes genisofs fail. To work around the 4 GB limitation we changed the calls to mksquashfs in /usr/share/live/build/scripts/build/lb_binary_rootfs to:

Chroot chroot "mksquashfs chroot filesystem1.squashfs -e usr ${MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS}" Chroot chroot "mksquashfs chroot filesystem2.squashfs -wildcards -e !(usr) ${MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS}"

This change puts the directory "/usr/" into its own squashfs file which fits quite nicely. When booting the system, both squashfs files are picked up and merged with aufs.

I know, I know... workarounds are bad, stupid, bad for the environment, yadda-yadda, but it works great for our purposes. Feel free to improve and generalize our workaround.

Best regards

Ronny Standtke

[1] http://www.imedias.ch/lernstick/lernstick_en

--