Re: live-manual style guide

On 07/02/12 11:17 AM, chals wrote:

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Ben Armstrong
<synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca <mailto:synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>> wrote:

    On 07/02/12 09:27 AM, chals wrote:

        I fear it is way too long (8 pages) to include it in the manual.

    What are we optimizing here? File size? Amount of material the user
    needs to skip over?

I was also thinking about saving translation work.

That shouldn't be a deciding factor. If we know we're not including certain sections to save translation work, we should make that explicit in the code for the manual (i.e. omit the section for all but English). However, I would say that ultimately, translation of the style guide is entirely at the discretion of the translators. Isn't it OK to include it in English in the appendix, since this is material that is targeted at translators anyway? But if one or more translators feel the translation would benefit from also translating this material, go for it ...

Ok, I'll format it, but it will probably take a couple of days because I
have to revise the style of the "style guide" itself as it was not
intended to be included there.

Sure. It will be at least that long before I have time to review it fully in any case.

Ben