Re: out of tree modules and custom kernels in testing and beyond

> The nvidia part was easy enough by fetching the nvidia-kernel-dkms
> package. So that dkms automatically builds the module for you.

While this is true, I now have the problem that my Xorg configuration
doesn't load the nvidia module by default. How can I ship an xorg
config that loads nvidia instead of nouveau? (just out of curiosity,
supposing it could be defaulted to nvidia, how would such

> broadcom-sta uses dkms in sid too.

Thank you for this! I hadn't noticed.

> build proper .debs from that 3.3~rc version of yours, then put them as local packages in the config tree.

Yes that's what I normally do, but that kernel would NOT boot by
default. It would instead boot the mainline kernel that I didn't know
how to force NOT to install.

> 525 DEFAULT_FLAVOUR="$(echo ${LB_LINUX_FLAVOURS} | awk '{ print $1 }')"
> 526 DEFAULT_KERNEL="$(basename chroot/boot/vmlinuz-*${DEFAULT_FLAVOUR})"
> 527 DEFAULT_INITRD="initrd.img-$(echo ${DEFAULT_KERNEL} | sed -e 's|vmlinuz-||')"

> I'd say it depends on what order you pass your linux flavours to the --linux-flavours option of lb config.

> The kernel packages themselves don't necessarily need to originate from an APT repository. They could as well be installed by placing the .debs in config/chroot_local-packages.

Mmm... the man page is not very clear:

--linux-flavours FLAVOUR|"FLAVOURS"
           sets  the  kernel  flavours  to be installed. Note that in case you
           specify more than that the first will  be  configured  the  default
           kernel that gets booted.

Let me change the question slightly so I can understand how to change
this. Suppose I want to build a live image of Debian testing (wheezy),
but using sid's current 3.2.x kernel or 3.3~rc from experimental (when
it gets there). What should the FLAVOUR be? (further assume that all
the apt pinning preferences and and sid repositories are set
correctly).

Thanks for your help!

Andres