Preseed file ignored when adding user to other groups

I have upgraded live-build to the version in sid (3.0~a42-1) and I
still can't persuade user to be in my nominated groups.

On the build system, as per
http://live.debian.net/manual/html/live-manual.en.html#494
8><----
root@ingrid:~/smrg-live# cat config/preseed/user-groups.preseed.chroot
user-setup passwd/user-default-groups string audio cdrom dip floppy video plugdev netdev powerdev scanner bluetooth iocard

8><----

On the live system:
8><----
user@debian:~$ groups
user cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner netdev bluetooth
user@debian:~$ sudo debconf-show user-setup | grep user-default-groups
* passwd/user-default-groups: audio cdrom dip floppy video plugdev netdev powerdev scanner bluetooth debian-tor
user@debian:~$
8><----

Should I give up with preseeding and use add an executable file
with adduser user iocard in it to /lib/live/hooks using a chroot
include? My understanding is that this would get executed at boot
time if the boot parameter hooks=filesystem was supplied. Is that right?

Thanks,

Nick/.