Re: E: Unable to locate package lightdm

Thank you for your reply Daniel.

I do understand things may not work but I didn't expect LB not to be able to find a package I had manually placed within the config structure. I tried a different build just yesterday using Wheezy, I added the repositories for the MATE desktop environment (which is for wheezy) and got this error "E: Unable to locate package mate-core" which I know works because I have it running on my laptop. I have again placed files in the appropriate places added the appropriate keyrings (that install correctly) and added the appropriate repositories (.binary and .chroot) and to get this same message with a file built for the version I am trying to build tells me there is something wrong with either my settings or LB being able to bring something in from a "foreign" repository.

I am currently building a repo with MATE in it that I will host on a NAS just for this project. I will see what is happening once I get that up and running.

Again thanks for your reply.
Michael.

On 2 January 2012 10:02, Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net> wrote:
On 01/01/2012 09:25 PM, Michael . wrote:
> I am building a Squeeze based distro but pulling some packages from Sid
> such as the kernel and LightDM.

you cannot just put packages from sid into a squeeze system and hope
that they install or work correctly. the way of making that work is
known as backporting (rebuilding newer packages from testing or unstable
on stable).

for the kernel, maintained backports for squeeze are available at
progress-linux.org. for lightdm, i'm not aware of an existing backports,
but it's trivial to do yourself (simple rebuild should be enough).

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net