Simple default ISO generation fails

Hi all,

I can't successfully create an ISO from a fresh install of live-build. I set up a new virtual machine in KVM and installed standard Debian Squeeze using debian-6.0.3-amd64-netinst.iso. I then installed live-build_3.0~a39-1_all.deb.

As root in the VM, I did "lb config", then "lb build". This produced an ISO that wouldn't get past the initial screen with the choice to enter the live system. Knowing why this happened, I placed a binary hook called kernel.binary (yes, it's executable) into config/hooks which renames vmlinuz and initrd.img:

#!/bin/sh
mv binary/live/vmlinuz-* binary/live/vmlinuz || true
mv binary/live/initrd.img-* binary/live/initrd.img || true

This is a script Daniel Baumann pointed out to me a few months ago. After that, I did an lb clean && lb build. I would expect the resulting binary-hybrid.iso to boot into Debian. It didn't.

On running "kvm --cdrom binary-hybrid.iso" as per the 3.x manual, the VM starts up and allows me to get past the screen with the option to boot into a live system. As the boot process progresses, I see:

Mount point '/filesystem.squashfs' does not exist. Skipping mount.

Further along, I see:

startpar: service(s) returned failure: udev console-setup live-boot ... failed!

Obviously none of this should be happening. I couldn't have used a more stock, new system. And I did nothing else but install the latest live-build. Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?

Daniel