Re: Cross-building

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net> wrote:
On 04/18/2011 11:10 PM, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> I'd like to build a custom PPC distro for installation on some gen3
> (USB 2.0) eMacs.  However, the only installed Linux systems I have
> access to are AMD64.

the process of creating an image means that we have to build a complete
chroot. complete means that we need to run the maintainer scripts. since
the maintainer scripts (often) include running binaries within the
chroot, this means the following:

 your host system must be able to execute your targets
 architecture binaries natively.

'natively' means either in true hardware, such as i386 on amd64, or i386
on an i386 system with an amd64 kernel, or virtually by running qemu (or
any aquivalent computer-architecture virtualiziation software).
Qemu is the only option for powerpc emulation on amd64. The debian package does not include the video extension. Mr Krumwiede would need to add the dependencies from debian repos and then build from source.

I can build an image with installer and send it on skype.
What I don't know how to do is setup a torrent of the file.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net