Re: Can't boot live DVD Debian 6, KDE, 1GB

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:26 -0700, "Csaba Kormendy"
<ckormendy.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> As a side note, I have no idea what your root problem might be.  The
> "without hard drive" suggestion came to mind as I have recently been
> experimenting with Debian by booting from a USB thumb drive on a bare
> motherboard with no hard drives connected.

Oops!  I'm sorry about that!  The root problem is that when the Debian 6
live cd (or Mepis 11 live cd) boots it has this error:

     ata2: SRST failed (error -5) and (error -16)

These errors repeat over and over.  Speculation is that the disk is not
jumpered correctly.  When I boot the computer the BIOS looks for a slave
to the disk, finds none, and moves on.  Then the live cd boots.  The
boot manager displays, I select an option to boot, then the errors
start.  This was not a problem with previous versions of Debian or Mepis
live cd (they still boot just fine).  So it makes me wonder what was
changed and why Debian can't just take the word of the BIOS and boot
like it used to do.

In fairness, this may be a kernel problem rather than a Debian issue.
That is why I'm going to try Suse to see what it does.

I also have one other concern -- the jumper is set correctly, or that
changing it does not resolve the problem.  We shall see.

Dave,
--
  dave boland
  dboland9@fastmail.fm