Using live-boot with mainline kernel

Hi,

As mentioned before I'm currently trying to make live-boot work for a
powerpcspe embedded system.  Currently I'm testing this with a fat
partition on a usb hard-disk attached to the system.

Unfortunately live-boot is currently hardwired to work with either aufs
or unionfs, which both are not in the mainline kernel.

I'm a little reluctant to patch my kernel.  Also I see many bits and
pieces in place that /almost/ allow use without unionfs or aufs:

 - using union=unionfs-fuse could work with a standard kernel; however
   unionfs-fuse support is currently broken (I understand that you
   don't officialy support it)

 - The 'toram' option already allows moving images into RAM.  Together
   with options 'toram exposedroot skipunion', this *could* work.  But
   it is broken by copy_live_to always re-mounting the tmpfs read-only
   (via 'mount -r -t move')

 - The 'exposedroot' option currently relies on mounting writable tmpfs
   to /var/tmp, /var/run etc.  Why does it have to use a unionfs to do
   that?  Can't it just directly mount tmpfs over /var/tmp etc.,
   shadowing the underlying (empty) directories?

Any chances that a patch to make live-boot work with mainline kernel
could get accepted?  Any preferences as to how to achive that?  Using a
writable ramdisk seems to be the most simple option.  Maybe just make
copy_live_to use a writable ramdisk whenever 'skipunion' is set?

cheers,

David