Re: live-boot from a jffs partition

On 03/16/2011 02:25 PM, David Kuehling wrote:
> That's an interesting question.  I guess jffs is designed in a way that
> makes it quite difficult to detect (without scanning the full
> partition).  There is the 'mtdinfo' utility from 'mtd-utils' package,
> which can be used on the mtdNN device corresponding to a mtdblockNN
> device file:
>
> blkid /dev/mtd3 :
> mtd3
> Name:                           NOR (RW) JFFS2 Root File System
> Type:                           nor
> Eraseblock size:                131072 bytes, 128.0 KiB
> Amount of eraseblocks:          88 (11534336 bytes, 11.0 MiB)
> Minimum input/output unit size: 1 byte
> Sub-page size:                  1 byte
> Character device major/minor:   90:6
> Bad blocks are allowed:         false
> Device is writable:             true
>
> But that doesn't really help, does it?

Because mtdinfo isn't present or because traversing from the block
device to mtdNN device to get this info is not practical? Or some other
reason?

So long as you have *some* way to find it out, you have the basis for a
possible patch. You just need it to be clean so that, e.g. if mtd-utils
is not present, nothing breaks.

Ben