Re: live-boot from a jffs partition

> On 03/16/2011 11:45 AM, David Kuehling wrote:
>> Going over the live-boot scripts, I just noticed that it uses 'blkid'
>> to detect file-systems, with no way to override the result:
>>
>> scripts/live (check_dev()):
>>
>> fstype=$(get_fstype "${devname}")
>>
>> scripts/live-helper:
>>
>> get_fstype () { /sbin/blkid -s TYPE -o value $1 2>/dev/null
>> }
>>
>> Unfortunately blkid does not seem to support jffs2 file-system, so no
>> way to boot directly from mtd flash?
>>
>> Am I overlooking something?  What would be the best way to fix that?

> What would return the correct value here in this case?

That's an interesting question.  I guess jffs is designed in a way that
makes it quite difficult to detect (without scanning the full
partition).  There is the 'mtdinfo' utility from 'mtd-utils' package,
which can be used on the mtdNN device corresponding to a mtdblockNN
device file:

blkid /dev/mtd3 :
mtd3
Name:                           NOR (RW) JFFS2 Root File System
Type:                           nor
Eraseblock size:                131072 bytes, 128.0 KiB
Amount of eraseblocks:          88 (11534336 bytes, 11.0 MiB)
Minimum input/output unit size: 1 byte
Sub-page size:                  1 byte
Character device major/minor:   90:6
Bad blocks are allowed:         false
Device is writable:             true

But that doesn't really help, does it?

> What value gets returned here instead when operating on jffs2?

blkid returns nothing at all when called on /dev/mtdblock*.

I'll have a look at openwrt, maybe there's somewhere a proper solution
available already.

A manual override for the fstype from the kernel command line would also
be a helpful workaround for now.

cheers,

David