Re: Can't include scientific packages using online CGI builder

Greetings,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:44 PM, carolus <worwor@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On 3/11/2011 2:43 PM, Richard Nelson wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Charles Russell<worwor@bellsouth.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I have not gotten the online builder to work with any large scientific
>>> package such as R, octave, maxima, or scilab.  Scilab appears to require
>>> some nonfree code, so I can understand why that might fail, but I don't
>>> see
>>> anything special about the other packages.
>>>
>>> The only message is "The requested URL was not found on this server",
>>> hence
>>> no log file. I do not get the promised e-mail notification even when a
>>> build
>>> is successful.
>>>

>> Not sure about why you are not getting mailers. I just did a test
>> build and it emailed me. Below is a quick search of recent builds with
>> your mail file to assist:
>>
>> http://live-build.debian.net/build/20110310.235903.664082444/mail
>>
>> http://live-build.debian.net/build/20110310.235851.131706557/mail
>>
>> http://live-build.debian.net/build/20110310.151120.752444877/mail
>>
>> http://live-build.debian.net/build/20110310.235904.120915544/mail
>>
>> http://live-build.debian.net/build/20110310.152038.364941534/mail
>>
>> http://live-build.debian.net/build/20110310.235852.111213652/mail
>>
>> The builds appear to have been successful.
>>

> Four of those six URL's I can access now, but the other two return (as they
> did before):
>
> The requested URL /build/20110310.151120.752444877/mail was not found on
> this server.
> Apache/2.2.17 (Debian) Server at live-build.debian.net Port 80
>

> The requested URL /build/20110310.152038.364941534/mail was not found on
> this server.
> Apache/2.2.17 (Debian) Server at live-build.debian.net Port 80

Builds are only kept about 24 hrs.

> One of the above URL's that I could now access showed a successful build
> with octave, putting the lie to my generalization that big scientific
> packages were not working.  I suppose the builds are OK and I'm having
> trouble connecting to your server. When I was able to download a build, it
> often appeared later than the expected 5-20 min,

The above can happen if you show up with large build or hit a busy
time on the build server.

> and often disappeared well before the posted 24 h.

Not sure about the above statement. In general if anything sometimes
builds get kept longer than intended.

> I looked for the missing mail in the spam folder for both my ISP (AT&T, with
> mail service contracted to Yahoo) and for my Thunderbird reader, and can't
> find it.  There was some discussion recently on slashdot about ISP
> whitelists blocking all mail from small independent servers.

Again, and I can not reproduce the failure to my email address. I do
wish to assist but I can not without the ability to reproduce.

> Do you have any suggestions, other than to keep trying to connect when I get
> the "URL not found" message?

Try to figure out why you are not getting mailers. Perhaps if you have
another email you could try.

> Is there any obvious reason why not to include
> all of octave3.2, r-base-core, and maxima?

Not sure what you ask here and so I assume you are talking about
package lists. If the said packages are not in a list and they are in
the main archive, then  you can just add them on --packages . If you
believe they would be valuable in a given package list, then you could
file a bug report.

Thanks.