Re: Question about manual development

2011/3/3 Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net>:
> On 03/03/2011 07:09 AM, Jose Luis Zabalza wrote:
>> Thanks Daniel, but I don't understand what do you mean with (because
>> you're not fast-forward anymore)
>
> imagine the following situation...
>
> you do a git clone of live-manual.git. you commit some changes. after
> some time, you intend to push it. there are two possible scenarios:
>
> 1. in the meanwhile, nobody has pushed anything. the last commit on the
> repository on the server, and the last commit before your own local
> commits on your local repository are the same (so, all your commits on
> top of the commit which was the top commit when you cloned are direct
> following commits also on top of the current repository state on the
> server, aka fast-forward).
>
> if you do a git push now, everything is fine.
>
> 2. in the meanwhile, someone has pushed one or more commits. your local
> repository is outdated in that regard, that you don't have these commits
> yet in your local repository. that means, that your local commits do not
> apply directly on top of the server repository, they are not fast-forward.
>
> if you do a git push now, git will tell you that you're not fast-forward
> and will refuse to push to the server.
>
> therefore, you do a git pull --rebase first in order to fetch the
> missing commits from the server, and rebase your local commits on top of
> that. if successfull, you do a git push, if unsucessful, you first fix
> the conflicts.
>

> in both situations, this is unrelated to the fact that the date header
> is modified or not, once you're not fast-forward anymore, you'll have to
> do a git pull --rebase anyway.

Thank you very much for your explanation. Very interesting. But which
is the difference between git pull and git pull --rebase.

I thought that git pull do this work and don't understand I need do --rebase.

>> Otoh I don't understand why make commit must change some file if i
>> don't change any "source file". If you say this is correct, I no
>> doubt, but I don't understand it.
>
> i'm afraid i don't understand what you mean here.

Yes. If  you execute "make commit"  live-manual.ssm files changes
even not other files are written (changes to manual (english) or po
translations aka "source files") so it is easy that we have conflicts
because the recomendations are

1.- make commit    aka everybody change live-manual.ssm files
2.- git add .
3.- git commit......
4.- git push              always conflicts if someone pushed something

If two developers/translators execute these commands there will always
 be conflicts because both change the sames files live-manual.ssm.

People use git from console and it is difficult to no developers
understand what mean <<<<<<<<< marks so it's easy find this marks as
"translated text" on po files.

Sorry for my english and thank you for your git lessons. ( I am a CVS
sufferer and some concepts from git are so hard for me)

Bye.

--
José Luis Zabalza
jlz.3008  a t  gmail.com