Re: Adding bootstrap-base to a image

2011/3/3 Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>:
> On 03/03/2011 02:31 PM, Jose Luis Zabalza wrote:
>> I tried build a image with bootstrap-base udeb inside, copying
>> bootstrap-base_1.115_i386.udeb file on config/binary_local-udebs/
>> directory but not was successfull.
>
> I'm not positive, but isn't this a core component built into the initrd?

I don't know that but ....

find . -name boot*

on a uncompressed install/initrd.gz find nothing so
bootstrap-base.isinstallable nor bootstrap-base.postinst are not
inside.

> If that's the case, then it can't be included via
> config/binary_local-udebs/. That mechanism currently only works for
> additional modules.

What are "additional modules"? udeb packages with extra kernel modules?

> You can use config/binary_debian-installer-includes/
> to include *files* from a udeb. I successfully used this method to test
> a rebuilt netcfg in a live image as follows:
>
> Note: What follows is a *total hack* and is not guaranteed to work!
> Simply exploding a package in this way is *not* the same thing as
> installing it! So don't blame me if it kills your cat or sets fire to
> your house.  Do not use this method for production builds! Do not file
> any bugs resulting from use of this method! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Oooh. It seems very dangerous. I like it. ;-)

> 1. use dpkg -x to extract udeb contents into
> config/binary_debian-installer-includes/
> 2. use dpkg -e to extract udeb control file contents into
> /binary_debian-installer-includes/var/lib/dpkg/info/
> 3. rename the relevant files for this directory to their real names,
> e.g. postinst -> netcfg.postinst and templates -> netcfg.templates and
> discard the rest (e.g. control)
> 4. build the image
>
> This worked well enough for me to test netcfg. It's definitely not
> suitable for anything else.

A good idea. But I think bootstrap-base was ever on install/initrd.gz.
I am not sure of this. And I guess bootstrap-base should be here. I am
not sure of this, too.

Are there some documentation about live-build work with install/initrd.gz ?

Can you tell me what live-build script work with this issue?

> Once upon a time, Daniel told me on irc:
>
> 16:13 < dba> SynrG: (fyi: derivative support is just halfway done in
> 3.x, in future, you can put any udeb in local udebs, and live-build will
> do the right thing (even rebuilding initrd if necessary))

OK. But live manual to squeeze (2.X version, I guess) say on 549 sentence.

===============
12.3 Customizing Debian Installer content

For experimental or debugging purposes, you might want to include
locally built d-i component udeb packages. Place these in
config/binary_local-udebs/ to include them in the image.

So this is not true. Am I wrong?

Thank you, again Ben.

--
José Luis Zabalza