Re: dd a live image and create a second partition

Ben Armstrong wrote:

you might just want to leave any existing partition on your stick intact,
copy the necessary files over to it from the live image, and then
syslinux the stick to make it bootable. Saves you the hassle with gparted.

I don't know how to get the files out of binary.img without first dd'ing to a stick or burning a dvd, and it is just as easy to dd and then repartition. I couldn't get a loopback mount to work since the .img file was not recognized as a valid filesystem. I can easily extract files from the .iso, but then "isolinux" has to be edited to "syslinux" in all the configuration files and directories.