Re: dd a live image and create a second partition

On 03/01/2011 12:01 AM, Charles Russell wrote:
> I tried creating a second FAT partition with gparted.  Although I could
> access the second partition with Linux ,  I could not access it with
> Windows XP or Windows 7.  Windows does not appear capable of recognizing
> more than one partition on a flash drive. The partitioning/formatting
> utility in Windows 7 does not allow formatting the unused part of the
> flash drive.

Well, you can, sort of ...

http://superuser.com/questions/61487/usb-sticks-and-multiple-partitions

> I wanted access the whole flash drive from either operating system, and
> got the following to work: To avoid renaming isolinux to syslinux in the
> configuration files, start with the .img format and not the .iso format
> when using dd.  Then  extend the size of the first partition with
> gparted to fill the USB. ( This made the drive unbootable.)  Next
> download the Windows (or Linux) executable from the syslinux site and
> run "syslinux.exe --install --mbr --active E:" (or whatever drive letter
> matches the USB).

For certain use cases, I guess that's OK. Although in that case you
might just want to leave any existing partition on your stick intact,
copy the necessary files over to it from the live image, and then
syslinux the stick to make it bootable. Saves you the hassle with gparted.

Ben