Re: Grml.org patch bomb

* Ben Armstrong wrote [28.07.11 14:26]:
Hi,

> I see these packages are not alone in providing local-top scripts. I
> gather that to support other local filesystem types provided by
> additional packages in the archive, each one of these would in turn need
> to be reviewed and have corresponding patches applied for live-boot to
> support them (excluding cryptsetup which is already handled, and
> allowing that some of these may not make sense to support):

If we really want to support all these local-top scripts we should come
up to provide the corresponding configuration for these scripts.

> loop-aes-utils: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/loopaes

live-boot supports cryptoloop in the backend though the functionality is
not really exported.

> open-iscsi: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/iscsi

Afaik live-boot already has support for iscsi

> Not that I'm suggesting we immediately deal with any of these. I ask
> mostly for my own information trying to understand the code, and to be
> thorough. :)

The main question is also do we really want to support all these
scripts? I really don't think it is wortwhile to be able to use findiso
for example on a crypted disk/nbd.  If you need this kind of think just
use network boot.  Local setups with raid and lvm on the other hand are
quite common nowadays so i think it should support at least these mdadm
and lvm.

Ulrich
--
twitter: @mr_ud  | identica: @mru