Help with 2.0-3.0 build migration

Hello all!

I am stuck, and getting frustrated with my attempts to migrate a working a20 to a30 live build configuration.
The intent is to have, after a build, a hybrid iso image. By following the steps below i am able to produce an image, but isolinux can not seem to find the kernel, or initrd.

I am asking for help and insight into the process in order to understand the issues i am experiencing. It appears to me that there are undocumented minimum dependencies. I would like to understand, and possibly document, those dependencies.

Effectively I would like to build a squeeze based system, As I understand the process this currently requires some modification to the build tree.

First. When attempting to build a "vanilla" iso-hybrid image i get a build failure. The reason for this build failure has been resolved. The solution is to use a post a18 version of 3.0. Specifically I have installed:
ii  live-config
3.0~a19-1                           Debian Live - System Configuration
Script
This package was produced locally from the git sources.

This allows a build to continue, but still fail in the chroot environment. One solution that will allow the builds to continue is to place updated versions of the following packages into the config/chroot_local-packages directory2
# ls config/chroot_local-packages/
syslinux-themes-debian_9-1_all.deb
syslinux-themes-debian-squeeze_9-1_all.deb

This allows live build ( 3.0-a17-1) to create a binary-hybrid.iso.

Unfortunately this file does not boot.

the issues as i understand them are:
The theme requires and unsupplied (unproduced?) live.cfg.