Re: Problem with the automount

On 06/04/2011 09:09 PM, cabavil wrote:
> Where is the point in offering the possibility of encrypted
> live-debian ?

like i said, the switch from loop-aes to luks for both the persistent
partition and the rootfs from hasn't entirely happened yet in live-* 3.x.

> Encryption for non-persistent Systems would make no sense for, or am I
> wrong ?

if privacy is of no concern, then yes, it is entirely useless.

> Wouldn`t it make sense to mention this "live-crypto-problem" somewhere
> in the Manual ?

the right place to mention it is in the manpage of lb config where it is
already mentioned afaik.

> I´d love to ad support for booting from dm-crypt rootfs with current
> live-boot. But unfortunatly i have absolutly no clue how to do this.

live-boot is still very messy, however, look at scripts/live. patches
always welcome.

> By the way: I think it should not be a possibility to encrypt the
> "carry-around-system", it should be normal Standard !

wrt/ rootfs encryption, no, as that would mean every user would need to
build it's own image (using a standard passphrase is obviously not useful :)

wrt/ persistent partition, even if we would have a nice way to ask the
user for the nitial passphrase when setting up the persistent partition,
it would not make sense to enable it by default. in the digital life,
the usage of cryptography has always to be at the users choice, ymmv.

> Do you have any hint´s for me where to start from, when I
> (an interested noob) what to become a "live-boot" developer ?

for squeeze, we did take out all the userspace stuff from live-boots
initramfs stuff into normal user space (now live-config). the remaining
part is network configuration. as a first step, that network
configuration should be cleaned up and those parts that belong into user
space, should be moved into live-config.

then, the remaining initramfs only parts of live-boot (most prominently
scripts/live) should be rewriten according to
http://live.debian.net/devel/live-boot/todo. that's the goal for wheezy,
so we have a complete and sustainable live-boot package. any help with
that, regardless at which point you're starting with, is more than welcome.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net