Re: The Status page of Debian-Live is cryptic

In-line :-

2011/5/30 Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>:
> On 30/05/11 04:53 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> It is cryptic both for uninformed casual user as well as a casual
>> debian user, except for the hardened/enthusiast debian-user wouldn't
>> know how to make sense of it.
>
> I'm confused why you skipped our documentation and other parts of the
> site, and just went straight for the Status page, a page with almost
> nothing on it, to learn everything about the project and how to use the
> software we make.  That's just ... well, rather baffling. This page is
> only meant to keep developers of live systems using our tools up to date
> with what we're working on as a project, nothing more.

Dear Ben,
     First of all thank you for taking time and being prompt for your reply.

Well, the issue is while I did go first to the releases site and while
I did see the rescue .torrent as well as rescue.iso I was not able to
figure out if it was a GUI-based rescue CD/DVD or not. In my back of
my mind I am thinking the Ubuntu Live/Install/Rescue CD all rolled
into one.

Could you or anybody else direct me to a link which explains all the
different options listed on this page ?

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/

As far as the Status page, if its for developers/testers/advanced
users who may be helping with the project, then something to that
affect should be on that page.

I actually looked first at the NEWS page and then the Status page. The
link I missed was the live-manual but then that's 60+ pages of
documentation which I cannot look at one go.

>> While I cannot imagine all the user
>> stories or test-cases couple of the most common ones come to mind :-
>>
>> a. I want to use a live-CD to check out Debian, which one should I use ?
>
> And you would use "Status" for that, and not "Releases"? If you want to
> use a live CD to check out Debian, I think the obvious answer is "use
> the latest release".

Which comes back to my previous point. Nothing to tell me what all and
any of the options do .

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/

Even going to each of the sub-directories does not add anything useful to me.

A webpage with info. which tells me the difference say between bt-hdd
releases and bt-hybrid and if in bt-hybrid the difference between
GNOME and rescue iso's.  Luckily I know that the others are all
different Window Managers but still do not know about the rescue ISO.

Also at a glance, I do not know what the eventual size of each CD or
DVD would be and on why they are the way they are.

For instance when I looked at
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
I saw almost each CD and DVD size are different.

For instance, http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-6.0.1-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso
is 1.1 G

while the rescue .iso

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-6.0.1-amd64-rescue.iso

is 544MB which means something is missing

which means that there are somethings which are not in rescue, is that
just a CLI-based rescue CD ?

What would have been better is to per-use perhaps something like
http://www.debian.org/CD/ and http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

Atleast before committing time I know what is there or not or atleast
some assumptions can be made. As of now, sadly it seems half-finished.
If I download the GNOME.iso then almost 3+GB space would be wasted as
there would be nothing else I could put in as its an ISO.

Some more clarity would be good here.

>> b. I want to use the Live-CD as a rescue CD, which one should I go for ?
>
> Again, "Status" for this? The download area indicates there's a rescue
> flavor. That would be an obvious choice.
>
>> Now, apparently or shallowy , it seems the answers to both the
>> questions may be/might be live-build2.x . If my assumption is correct,
>> then why isn't it given as a recommendation for a new user .
>
> Since live-build 2.x is what's in Debian Stable, that is implicitly
> recommended, since Testing/Unstable are not for casual end-users, but
> only for "hardened/enthusiast" users, as you characterize them.

Then shouldn't there be a (recommended) kinda link given therein.
This would make it easy for newbies to know what they have to do.

>> Lastly, the workaround given as the link
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2011/05/msg00144.html should
>> either have preceeded or have instructions before, during or after
>> downloading the live-build how to add that repo. because without a
>> functioning stable kernel (with aufs) things cannot go far.
>
> If you using Testing or Unstable, you should be aware that not
> everything works all of the time. People doing this *are* hardcore
> users, and should therefore not be confused when they read terse status
> updates linking to bug#s.

Ok cool.

Something more interesting, I was looking at the image builders and
there were two options given, a cgi-bin based service and another
django based service . Atleast for the django webservice it asks for a
key and does not tell what kind of key is needed there.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल