Re: plymouth package issue

On 05/03/2011 10:34 AM, Carlos Alarcon wrote:
Hi,

We are trying to have a plymouth splash image during boot time with our
debian-live distribution.

When we set the system to include such package we get the following
errors while building the image:

         Running depmod.^M
         Running update-initramfs.^M
         update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686^M
         df: Warning: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such
         file or directory^M
         W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw
         for module r8169^M
         W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw
         for module r8169^M
         cp: cannot stat `/etc/fonts/fonts.conf': No such file or
         directory^M
         E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/plymouth failed with return
         1.^M
         update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686^M
         update-initramfs failed to create initrd image.^M
         Failed to create initrd image.^M
         dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 (--configure):^M
          subprocess installed post-installation script returned error
         exit status 2^M
         configured to not write apport reports
         .
         .
         .

         Errors were encountered while processing:^M
          linux-image-2.6.32-5-486^M
          linux-image-2.6.32-5-686^M
          linux-image-2.6-486^M
          linux-image-2.6-686^M
         P: Begin unmounting filesystems...

Is there anything special to be done in order to get this package
installed?

By the way we are using nfs netboot setup but I think is shouldn't
matter much, since I don get the image build at all.

I can attach the full binary.log if needed (I am not sure if it is
allowed to send files to the list)

Regards

I do not have an answer for you.  I do have a warning.

Plymouth will exclude a lot of hardware from booting and shutting down with out messing with it.

My Dell XPS 420 (3 years old) with Radeon HD 2400 PRO will not boot without removing splash from the instruction string of the menu entry. Boot time varies from 2 to 20 minutes.

It will not shut down.  Alt+SysRq+b works.

plymouth.d is supposed to get the boot logs written. I have fooled with ubuntu with plymouth for 3 versions now and have yet to have my first boot log written with plymouth in charge.

All that for something that should give you a few seconds of eyecandy.

Have FUN.

Hope your project works great.