Re: dd a live image and create a second partition

I want to create a persistant partition on a Debian stick but find the
manual instructions unhelpful.  For example, after using dd to copy the
hybrid iso image to the stick if I try to use parted to create a
partition parted responds

dragon:~# parted /dev/sdd
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sdd
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Error: Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sdd.
Ignore/Cancel? c
(parted) quit
dragon:~# exit

If I create the partition in advance it will be overwritten by using dd
to copy the hybrid iso image to the stick.

Perhaps this is my elementary misunderstanding of the instructions but
this seems an important issue to me.  If I carry a Debain system on a
usb stick to use away from home I want to bring home any data generated.

Tom