Project for GSoC (and other summer internship programs)

Hi!

We TAILS [0] developers have been asked by our friends at The Tor
Project [1] if we had any projects we wanted to propose for this
year's Google Summer of Code [2], HFOSS summer internship at Wesleyan
University [3], as well as to any volunteer with her fair share of
good-will.

  [0] https://amnesia.boum.org/
  [1] https://www.torproject.org/
  [2] http://www.google-melange.com/
  [3] http://hfoss.wesleyan.edu/

In a hurry, we quickly picked three items from our TODO we felt were
appropriate and proposed these projects [4].

  [4] https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html#project-tails

One of those [5] is essentially working on the Debian Live toolkit,
and especially on live-boot, to improve existing persistence features
to make them suit the specific context of T(A)ILS.

  [5] https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html#tailsDebianLive

One or several list subscribers, users or contributors of Debian Live
could be interested in catching this ball. In this case, don't
hesitate a single second: get in touch! -> amnesia@boum.org

We realized a bit too late it was a bit rude to submit this project
without even mentioning it on any Debian Live communication channel.
But well, our core dev team actually did discuss this and submitted
the projects without even mentioning it on any of our own
communication channels yet, so...

In any case, I'd like to make it clear what all this stuff implies for
the Debian Live project. In short: only good things (or so I hope).

In case anyone undertakes this project, I would be her primary mentor
(at least one other T(A)ILS developer has volunteered to be a backup
mentor). As a first step, I would review and comment every proposed
change with these two main criteria in mind:

  - these changes shall lead to implementing the specification, i.e.
    make Debian Live persistence tools compatible with the T(A)ILS use
    cases;
  - these changes shall be designed and implemented in a way that is
    clean enough to deserve being merged into Debian Live upstream
    repositories. We don't want to maintain a fork of Debian Live.

When I — and other T(A)ILS developers, be they formal mentors or not —
are happy with the results, I will submit these to this list, in the
form of RFC or "please pull" requests.

As a second step, if the process goes well, the ones doing the real
work might become trusted enough to submit their results themselves.
I for sure hope this will be the case, but we'll see.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

Bye,
--
  intrigeri <intrigeri@boum.org>