Re: debian-squeeze-live-rc2-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso

On 02/18/2011 12:34 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> The rc2 amd64 xfce live image (now moved to the archive area of
> cdimage.d.o) looks like it's just too big to fit on a normal CD any
> more, and that's the most likely cause of your problem:
>
> $ ls -al debian-squeeze-live-rc2-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso
> -rw-r--r--+ 1 debian-cd debian-cd 847249408 2011-02-02 03:06  debian-squeeze-live-rc2-amd64-xfce-desktop.iso

Exactly, read the fine print :)

http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

"Size: Each image is much smaller than the full set of CD/DVD images,
but larger than the network install media. If you are installing from
optical media, the standard and rescue images will fit on a CD, whereas
the others require a DVD. If you are installing from a USB key, only
LXDE, Xfce, standard and rescue will fit on a 1G device, whereas the
others require a larger key."

Also, please note that RC2 has been superceded by the final release (all
of the links from the above page point at the final release images).

Regrettably, it is not possible to make any of the standard desktop
tasks, such as they would appear on your system had you installed them
from regular Debian installer images, fit on a single CD anymore. This
is due at least in part to the fact that "recommends" is enabled by
default in Squeeze whereas in Lenny it was not. But since it is our goal
to provide the same system that a regular install would, we do not
produce any images with recommends disabled, though you can use the
live-build tool to make such images yourself.

Ben