Why are the Squeeze images so much larger?

I am looking at the Squeeze images located here...

...and I see that, with the sole exception of the rescue image, they are too large to fit on a CD-ROM. I am wondering why they are so much bigger. I am fairly certain that all of the corresponding Lenny images are small enough to fit on a CD-R/W disc, so it seems rather obvious that there has been a significant change of some kind.