Re: configuring proprietary drivers at boot time

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:48:18AM +0100, Nicola Busanello wrote:
> I'd like to have a Debian live system recognize video boards at boot,
> optionally configuring the system to use proprietary drivers.
>
> [...]

Thank you all for your replies!

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 06:48:47AM +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the right way is to first fix the driver packages so that they use
> update-alternative and can be installed all at the same time.

What can I do to help this happen?
I am not a programmer and have only very basic packaging knowledge, but
if there's anything I can do to improve the situation, please let me
know.

I also think this is the right solution, because it addresses other
cases also. In desktops it can happen to have more than a video board in
one system (e.g. an integrated ATI and a PCI-e nVidia) and in notebooks
having two video cards is becoming more popular these days, one powerful
and power-hungry card and another, more economic one (e.g. Intel +
nVidia)

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 09:05:15AM +0100, Luigi Capriotti wrote:
> what you are looking for is exactly what we achieved for XBMC Live
> (see http://xbmc.org). Our live CD is ubuntu-based though, since
> proprietary drivers from Lucid onwards use update-alternatives hence
> they can be all installed at build time.

I'll surely have a look at how you resolved this issue. It has to be
very close to an ideal solution with Debian live and Debian packages
updated to use update-alternatives.

It is nice to know that from Lucid onwards Ubuntu has nvidia and fglrx
drivers alternatives-aware. First thing that comes to mind is: could
this improvement be ported to debian packages? It would be nice for
Debian, better packages (even if they're non-free) and less conflicts,
but also for Ubuntu I suppose, because it could just adopt Debian's
ones.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:33:26AM +0100, Ronny Standtke wrote:
> what you are looking for is exactly what we achieved for lernstick (see
> http://www.imedias.ch/lernstick/lernstick_en). Our system is Debian-based.
>
> We created custom packages for the proprietary drivers (lernstick-ati-drivers
> and lernstick-nvidia-drivers). They contain all generations of NVIDIA drivers
> and the latest fglrx driver. In addition to that we created a package
> lernstick-initscripts-squeeze that contains a script for GPU detection and
> system setup. The package repository is here:
> http://www.imedias.ch/dateien/lernstick/debian6-imedias/

This will probably be my solution in the short term.

> Its good to know that there are other people interested in the same subject.
> [...]

It seems to me that this is somewhat a common issue in live
enviromnents. While I was searching the web I found other live
distributions, some related to Debian and some different ones, some
dedicated ones (e.g. gaming, multimedia, etc.) and some generic.
In addition, systems with more than one video card are becoming more
popular, so this has to be relevant in the desktop and mobile world,
too.

Thanks again everybody for sharing this info.

Bye,
Nicola.
--
"A sensible man knows you can not please everybody. A wise man knows you can not
please anybody."						    -- Anonymous

           http://www.ebruni.it/docs/pippolone196/index.htm
GPGkey 0xCED2206B                Linux counter registered user n° 356433
http://www.no1984.org/                       http://www.defectivebydesign.org/