Live USB "Boot error" strangeness

I have a system with a DX58SO motherboard and an i7 CPU.

I've tried multiple images downloaded today
  debian-live-507-amd64-rescue.img
  debian-squeeze-live-beta2-amd64-rescue.img
  debian-squeeze-live-beta2-i386-rescue.img

(from
  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/usb-hdd/
  http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/6.0_beta2/i386/usb-hdd/
  http://live.debian.net/cdimage/release/6.0_beta2/amd64/usb-hdd/
)

I've used a variety of 1&2GByte USB sticks.  I've re-read and verified
the contents of the sticks after writing them.  I've tried a variety of
USB ports on the motherboard.  All of the live images just give "Boot
error" and that's it... no menu  (I'm not actually sure whether "Boot
error" is from the mobo BIOS or from debian...).

Now the system is perfectly capable of booting USB sticks: I have
another one with FreeDOS on it which works perfectly, and I just now
burned one with the Squeeze beta2 installer (zap the stick with
boot.img.gz then mount & copy debian-squeeze-di-beta2-i386-netinst.iso
onto it) and it boots that just fine too.

Further, the debian-squeeze-live-beta2-i386-rescue.img stick works
perfectly in a Lenovo S10e laptop!  So I _am_ dd-ing these live things
right... there just seems to be this peculiar brokenness with the
combination of debian-live .imgs and the DX58SO system...

Any ideas/suggestions ?  This isn't just for fun; I could really do with
booting into a live system on the DX58SO to do some maintenance on the
root filesystem.

There seems to be a similar report back here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2009/01/msg00018.html
but I don't yet know enough about this stuff to figure out how to build
a bootable USB image from an ISO (which is what it seems to recommend
before the thread goes cold).

I did also play with live-build a bit at the tail end of 2010 and built
my own .imgs and had exactly the same problems but assumed it was just
me; I only just got around to investigating a bit more thoroughly now.

Thanks for any help
Tim