Re: Problems with debian installer

2010/12/27 Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>:
> On 12/26/2010 11:24 PM, Jose Luis Zabalza wrote:
>> Also fails.
>
> i've not done installations with an img anytime recently, i've only used
> the iso-hybrid images which work flawlessly (both, either being written
> to an usb stick, or being used from an optical media). i'll give it a
> try with an img from an usb stick.

Thanks.

I make a usb stick following  chapter "4.3. Preparing Files for USB
Memory Stick Booting"  of debian installation guide.

 sudo fdisk /dev/sdd
.... create a FAT 16 bootable partition.
 sudo mkdosfs /dev/sdd1
 sudo syslinux /dev/sdd1
 mkdir x
 sudo mount /dev/sdd1 x
 sudo cp squeeze/trunk/installer/build/dest/hd-media/initrd.gz  x
 sudo cp squeeze/trunk/installer/build/dest/hd-media/vmlinuz x
 sudo cp download/debian-live-squeeze-i386-standard.iso x
 sudo sh -c 'echo "default vmlinuz\nappend initrd=initrd.gz" > x/syslinux.cfg'
 sudo umount x
 sudo install-mbr /dev/sdd

with iso download from
http://live.debian.net/cdimage/daily-builds/squeeze/20101226-1/i386/iso-hybrid/debian-live-squeeze-i386-standard.iso

The grub installation it's OK but I get debian installer bug #568529
"When installing from USB stick, grub-installer
 installs on stick's MBR instead of the hard drive's, making new
system unbootable and breaking stick"

If I start with usb connected, grub start and linux system from hd
start OK, similar to old times floppy disk start up.

I guess this is not a debian-live problem but a debian-installer
problem. Curiously cdrom/initrd.gz recognize the hd as sda and usb
stick as sdb and hd-media/initrd.gz recognize hd as sdb and usb stick
as sda.

In my ignorance, is there another way to make a bootable usb stick
with debian-live-squeeze-i386-standard.iso ?

Thanks in avance.

--
José Luis Zabalza
jlz.3008  a t  gmail.com