Re: built debian-live iso using Version: 2.0~a16-1, but cannot login when booting from the corresponding burnt DVD

On 2010-07-05 14:23+0200 Daniel Baumann wrote:

On 07/04/2010 01:24 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
Old-fashioned control of Intel graphics via xorg.conf is still useful. For
example, some Intel users are having severe trouble with modelines for
monitors without correct EDID information so

Option      "ModeDebug" "ON"

is useful as well as other commands to specify the modelines and preferred
mode exactly.

ok. this however is a bit out of scope/too specific to warrant a
bootparameter just for this.

the basic assumption is that, hardware wise, we're living in a perfect
world where everything works automatically. if it doesn't, you'll need
to tweek stuff anyway and there's not much way we can guess what and how
you have to tweek things to make it work, so we just make sure that e.g.
you can have your own xorg.conf, but not offer a gazillion of different
(and confusing) options to influence xorg.conf generation apart from the
basic things (keyboard and driver selection).

Just in case there was some misunderstanding here, I was answering your
question about why I needed to tweak xorg.conf.  I was not asking for
any change to live-helper itself so it appears we are in complete
agreement on this issue.

There was one final major issue I encountered with live-helper which
was installation of Debian squeeze on my AMD64 hardware using the
live! disk generated by live-helper completely crapped out even though
the live! part of the result worked fine. I use the expert text mode,
and the disk detection stage that occurs fairly early in the install
failed to find my disk, and gave me a long arcane list of possible
disk drivers to try.  None of those seemed suitable for my ordinary
SATA disk so I quit there.

I then went back and burned a daily install (the netinst daily variant
linked from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ which has no
unsolved errata), and tried the exact same installation method, That
install disk detected my drives automatically, and I went on to
install Debian testing successfully (from where I am posting this).

To give more details, the final configuration used to create the live!
plus install disk was created using the following configuration (with
live-helper 2.0~a17-1):

lh config -b iso -a amd64 \
-r live.debian.net \
--packages-lists "kde-full" \
--packages "man-db ferm vim" \
--debian-installer-distribution squeeze \
--distribution squeeze \
--mirror-bootstrap "http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/"; \
--mirror-chroot "http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/"; \
--debian-installer live

(Minor issues here were man-db was required because for some reason
it was forgotten in the chain of packages brought in by kde-full.
Also, I could not get the combination of "kde-full rescue" to work
[possibly because of a squeeze bug?] so I had to bring in vim
independently.)

The live! part of the result worked okay, but the install part
completely crapped out as noted above.  Does the above configuration
use the squeeze Alpha1 release of the installer (modified to use the
debs on the live! plus install disk) linked from
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ ?  If so, that release
of the squeeze installer has no errata concerning detection of disks,
and I proved by experience that the daily build of that installer is
working fine.  Thus, I am concerned that some of the modifications
that live-helper does to the install are causing the disk detection
issue for the install.

I am happy with my present Debian squeeze install using the non-live!
daily build of the installer so I am in no position to do further
installation testing. So to move forward investigating this issue
(unless it is already known) we need someone who doesn't mind
reinstalling on some spare computer to test the install capability of
iso's generated by live-helper using configurations similar to above.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).

Linux-powered Science