Re: built debian-live iso using Version: 2.0~a16-1, but cannot login when booting from the corresponding burnt DVD

On 2010-07-01 23:49+0200 Daniel Baumann wrote:

On 07/01/2010 09:53 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
However, the documented default username
and password of "user" and "live" do not work. ctrl-ALT-F1 puts me in a
console, but I also cannot login there with that combination of username
and
password.

see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=583485#20

Hi Daniel:

Thanks very much for that reference!  It's been disturbing me that I could
not login, and I am real happy that there is a well-understood reason for
it.

I will try that recommended workaround for the issue.

lh config -b iso -a amd64 -p kde \
--debian-installer-distribution daily \
--distribution sid \
--mirror-bootstrap "http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/"; \
--mirror-chroot "http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/"; \
--bootstrap-flavour minimal \
--debian-installer live

Oops!  I copied that incorrectly to my post. sid should be changed to
squeeze. sid was broken at the time I tried it, and I prefer a live squeeze
iso in any case so the actual command I ended up running last that actually
produced an iso was with squeeze.

don't use --bootstrap-flavour minimal unless you're prepared to fix
things yourself. we don't use that actually.

OK.  I will remove that even though it did not obviously interfere with
generating the live squeeze iso.  That option was a leftover from my
troubles with the lenny version of live-helper; debootstrap was not working
there so I hoped to make its job easier based on the assumption that kde
would pull in everything it needed after the bootstrap phase.

I also followed a recommendation in the FAQ and did the following:

mkdir -p config/chroot_local-includes/usr/bin
cp dexconf config/chroot_local-includes/usr/bin

counter productive on >= squeeze and live-config, don't do that.

What is the recommended way to write xorg.conf for >= squeeze?  With Intel
graphics I would like the capability to try various xorg.conf files even
though sometimes you get lucky and don't need them.  I think others with
non-Intel graphics chipsets will also want xorg.conf write capability for
similar reasons. Whatever the answer is for writing xorg.conf, it should
supplement the above FAQ recommendation for >= squeeze so others won't be
mislead like I was.

I can later install to disk if I
like the result.

you might want to use --debian-installer live then.

I am assuming that the use of
"--debian-installer-distribution daily" is the correct thing to do to get
the latest installer (once I am ready to use that to install to disk).

right, however, be warned that these can be quite broken at anytime.

I have used the daily versions a few times in the past when downloading an
ordinary squeeze iso for a non-intel computer, and perhaps got lucky, but it
sounds like you are recommending I should change from daily to squeeze. I
will give that a try instead (unless you have a better recommendation).

Thanks very much for your lh config help so far (and also for your live-helper
development efforts).

To summarize this, it looks like the command (for my specific needs and
taking account of your recommended bug #583485 workaround) should be the
following:

lh config -b iso -a amd64 -p kde \
-r live.debian.net \
--debian-installer-distribution squeeze \
--distribution squeeze \
--mirror-bootstrap "http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/"; \
--mirror-chroot "http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/"; \
--debian-installer live

It looks like I will be good to go once I know how to write xorg.conf
for >= squeeze.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).