Re: How to resize the IMG USB Live-Debian pendrive ?

Well this sort of pseudo solution is very complicated and not suited for most users that are today using microsoft windows.

Look an example linuxpendrive.com is only windows based for installing, so why to botter to give a linux solution since users have in most cases windows and would like to try debian live as a temporally alternative. Windows is better for most users, and have not so often issues as under linux. So many time I got peaced off of Ext3 for instance.

In big companies, mostly networking/data are done by using Microsoft Windows Server also today, not to forget.

Cheers

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 06:56:52AM +0200, yellow protoss wrote:
> Because do you know that windows XP does not like many partitions on a
> pendrive. I want to use my pendrive still under Windows XP.
>
> So how to make the pendrive useable for storage. Come on. It is possible
> with bootable knoppix pendrives, I used it to store my data. I added a
> folder : data on the root on the pendrive and put all my Gygabites in there.
> The knoppix bootable remainns.

I wonder what it would take to make the partition with the live image
the second partition (second entry in the partition table, first on the
disk).

That said, the size of the disk is calculated as:

DU_DIM="$(du -ms binary | cut -f1)"
REAL_DIM="$(Calculate_partition_size ${DU_DIM} ${LH_BINARY_FILESYSTEM})"
dd if=/dev/zero of=chroot/binary.img bs=1024k count=0 seek=${REAL_DIM}

http://live.debian.net/gitweb?p=live-helper.git;a=blob;f=helpers/binary_usb

Maybe add an extra variable, LH_USB_MIN_PART_SIZE (which would be
user-configurable, and defaults to 0), and then use:

DU_DIM="$(du -ms binary | cut -f1)"
REAL_DIM="$(Calculate_partition_size ${DU_DIM} ${LH_BINARY_FILESYSTEM})"
if [ ${REAL_DIM} -lt ${LH_USB_MIN_PART_SIZE} ]
then
       REAL_DIM=${LH_USB_MIN_PART_SIZE}
fi
dd if=/dev/zero of=chroot/binary.img bs=1024k count=0 seek=${REAL_DIM}

(or fix similarly in Calculate_partition_size)

--
              Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com