Live-init /lib/live/config/012-xinit script problems

Daniel,

012-xinit script needs a serious relook.  All is well until the script
is run and zz-xinit.sh is saved into live-sn.cpio.gz.

The zz-xinit.sh script is not resident in the first squashfs created.
Only when live-snapshot is run does the file
/etc/profile.d/zz-xinit.sh get created.

Problem:
when a system containing gdm (I set chroot/LB_PACKAGE_LISTS="lxde")
sets up, init via rc 2 with a bootwait calls gdm (which is run by user
root), and the live user is autologged into lxde.

later, if live-sn.cpio.gz containing /etc/profile.d/zz-xinit.sh is
present, init activates tty1-tty6.  During autologin of the tty as the
live user, the following is run:

if [ -z "${DISPLAY}" ] && [ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]

I will point out that X :0 is run by root and transferred to the live
user on tty7.  No DISPLAY variable will ever be set on tty1 in this
case.  In fact, no DISPLAY variable will ever be set on tty1 by anyone
but this script, as this script runs as part of the environment setup
before the user has a prompt.  So the first part of this if will
always be true.

later the script has:
while true; do startx; done

Since startx will always fail if gdm|xdm|wdm|kdm is running, but the
DISPLAY is never set on tty1, this runaway script will go crazy.  It
has the side effect of disabling the running DISPLAY on tty7 because
startx will change the xauth so the live user can't use the tty7
DISPLAY.

Suggestions:
the 012-xinit script go away

the 012-xinit script be rewritten to test for a default display in
/etc/X11/default-display-manager and check for a pidof before spawning
10,000+ iterations of xinit.

I prefer the first solution, but I believe others will prefer the
second (based on my search of the live bug database and folks wanting
startx run that are not installing a package with a display manager).

Meanwhile, I will be ripping out 012-xinit from my chroot before the live build.

Your thoughts?

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto