Re: Web boot with fetch= parameter

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> wrote:
> On 10/07/2010 01:03 PM, Nikolay Kasatkin wrote:
>> Do you have any plans to extend live-build functionality to support
>> web boot with fetch=http:// parameter natively?
>
> not really, but it should be very easy to add, so why not..
>
> i think there are two things here to seperate..
> one is the stuff that you put on the server. that filesystem image is
> different from the nebboot one; netboot contains nfs etc in initrd,
> webboot doesn't. so, a webboot one would be the same as iso (content
> wise, not formally, as the output would not be an iso image, but a tarball).
>
> the other is that you still need a client image, consisting of a kernel
> and initrd only, without filesystem.squashfs since that is going to be
> fetched. so we would need to create an iso-hybrid images and/or usb-hdd
> images for that, configured with the right fetch:// thing in the
> booloader config.
>
> is that all, or have i forgot anything, what do you think?

Yes, you are right. Some important things for webbot that client image
(kernel + initrd) must have is: early configured networking, wget and
ability to resolve DNS names. All of this worked now with lb config -b
net && lb build except DNS resolving  (debian squeeze; live-build
2.0.1-1; live-initramfs 2.0.6-1). So, I hope, it really should be easy
to add full webboot support.

--
Nikolay Kasatkin