Re: GUI Interactive Shell

>>I don't think you have to wait to try it out today.  I and others have been making quite usable Squeeze-based images for several months.

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know about that. Cool!

>>I can't really comment on this, as I don't know the Java world well.  There is http://lists.debian.org/debian-java and perhaps if you described your project they might be able to make some recommendations.

Will keep this in mind, cheers.

>>Or maybe use some native Java programmer's text editor like jedit?

jedit is a text editor written in java but does not include natively java completion. it's basically another text editor just like vim but written in java. However nothing beats vim IMO. There is a plugin though for jedit that enables java completion in the editor. It's called JavaSideKick (http://plugins.jedit.org/plugins/?JavaSideKick)

However, considering all the options, I guess I will go about it like this as you first suggested...

1. Build a Squeeze image
2. Install eclipse, java and nxjc from the interactive shell
3. boot the live system
4. take a tar ball of the home directory
5. make modifications
6. take another tar ball
7. compare differences
8. modify /etc/skel accordingly for another fresh build

thanks for your time into this Ben