Re: GUI Interactive Shell

On 08/25/2010 02:07 PM, Robert Spiteri wrote:
How can I install Eclipse from Debian Live interactive shell? The installer is GUI based as far as I am concerned, so I would need to install it once I boot the live system. In that case, I would need to take a tar ball before and after of the WHOLE SYSTEM right? This is not that feasible as far as I am seeing it...

Your opinion about that?

The gold standard, of course, is to provide Debian packages of all software to include. I understand if you find that a bit daunting for Eclipse ...

But before we go down that road, you may or may not be aware that Eclipse is in Debian Squeeze?

http://packages.debian.org/eclipse

Even though Squeeze has not yet released, it is now in freeze (the phase of the release process in which we stop adding features and work out the remaining RC bugs in preparation for release) which should provide a reasonably stable platform for developing a live image based on it. This may be your best alternative.

Ben